New Boots!

Lovely new boots from Green Shoes.  The company makes shoes with ethics in mind and I went there to make shoes back in April.  Click here to see.

I am very pleased with them and to celebrate I am going to show a couple of outfit pictures with the boots.

Dress and cashmere pullover were charity shopped.  I dyed the pullover from fuschia – which doesn’t suit me – to this lovely purple.

The skirt and tunic are me made. Top is from People Tree.  Tights are retail.

Advertisements

Experimental Pattern Free Top

Another attempt at pattern free sewing.  This is a lightweight linen – I’ve only tried cotton lawn before.

The top is made from fabric rectangles pleated to get the right width for me.  Previously I have used three rectangles, but this time I wanted to use up some leftover fabric I really like, so I made a separate waistband and pleated the top part and the peplum into it.

The back rectangle is half the width of 140cm fabric.  The front is the other half, divided into two so that I could have a button front.

The front only needed pleating to get it into the waistband because the button bands used up quite a bit of fabric.

Pleats sewn down the centre back to match the back width to the fronts.

The cap sleeves just appear when the side seams are sewn.

I made the front neckline by chalking around a dinner plate.  The back was cut to match.

I loved that leftover contrast fabric so much that I made bias binding for the neckline from it & covered buttons to match.

Am I happy with it?

I think the waistband needed to be smaller.  I was going for comfort, but I went too far.

Other than that, I love it. I think it will get lots of wear.

Other versions you might be interested in

Liberty print skirt to tunic seen here

Unloved skirt transformed seen here

Liberty Print Skirt to Tunic – no pattern required

I haven’t forgotten Me Made June. I’ve been sticking to my pledge – just not recording my outfits (lots of repeats – if not the same garment, the same pattern).

I’ve actually finished something new & worn it on Day 29. It started as this:

And finished as this:

I spotted the skirt through the open door of a charity shop.  It’s a Liberty print from the ’80s or ’90s.  The fabric is cotton lawn & very fine. The skirt wasn’t my sort of thing but there was lots of lovely fabric in it.

I cut off the waistband, undid the hem & seams and washed and ironed it.

The tunic is made from two rectangles & tucks make it the right size & shape.

I used a plate to get the front neckline shape & the button placket is just a cut in the front as far as the waist & then turned back on each side.  The buttons came from an old blouse long since recycled.

No pattern required.