The 1940s Swing Dress is finished

Lots of work but really enjoyable.  The swing dress is finished. 

I added a side placket for press studs & hooks & eyes because I think that was how dresses were fastened in England until after the Second World War but I think zips probably look better.

I am looking forward to wearing this in the summer.

There are lots of other versions on Flickr.  Just follow the link on the right hand side of the page.

Advertisements

1940s Swing Dress Sew Along – Always make a Toile

This a really interesting sew along based on a pattern from Sense & Sensibility.  Casey at http://blog.caseybrowndesigns.com is leading it and providing pictures to guide the participants in all the difficult areas. 

I had to make two toiles because the bodice needed a lot of shortening to fit me and I made the mistake of not checking I had done all the alterations correctly.  Bad!! Even if I used up all the seam allowances in the bodice I couldn’t have fastened it.

Lesson: always make a toile. 

I made the toile from an old duvet cover & it looks pretty strange because it has huge checks.  Anyway here it is:

The 1940s Swing Dress - just for practice

I like the style.  This is the fabric for the real thing:

Fabric for the 1940s swing dress

It’s cotton & it should be something more flowing like rayon or silk but it feels a bit floaty so I think it will come out ok.

Use the link to Flickr for more photos – mine & others.