Old quilts get cut up for dog blankets.
This was once a king size bed quilt.
My new quilt – before quilting. It looks very different afterwards.
After some manic sewing I got the quilt ready to take to the exhibition. I forgot to take photos of the finished quilt so that’ll have to wait until next week.
I just love these boots. I wear them nearly every day.
To be honest, I would love to do an outfit post. Yesterday I wore lots of stuff I made myself & my lovely new boots from Green Shoes. But it’s not to be. Sadly, I forgot to take a photo until it was too late & I was very crumpled. Today I have been wearing jodphurs most of the day; it’s not a great look to start with and I am an especially scruffy person.
Anyway, the photos are all printed on fabric and since I took this photo I have cropped them all to the sizes I want.
I have a rough plan. I’m not promising to keep to it though – in fact, I’ve already changed a few things.
And this is the heap of linen & wool fabrics ready for ironing. I’ve now ironed them and made a few choices.
It has been ages since I last posted about my quilt plans. Things I have to do have been getting in the way of things I want to do. The situation hasn’t changed but I have printed my photos on to fabric at last.
I used Bubble Jet Set 2000 to do it & it gives great results if your printer is up to it.
Most of the photos are printed on to pieces of an old white cotton valence and the results are much better than when printed on new but lower quality cotton. The photos are clearer on the old valence -a bonus for recycling.
I am so excited now the quilt is moving on again.
The next step is piecing.
This is the next stage of my new quilt. I am looking for interesting details which might translate into textiles. My idea is to include sewn details as well as photographs printed on to fabric.
Next step is to get out the bags of linen and wool and audition them.
This photograph was taken at the Weald & Downland Museum, West Sussex.
At that time I was involved in a project to make a quilt commemorating the museum’s 40th anniversary and these photographs were my starting point. Along with several other women, I made two blocks to put in the quilt. They were made to strict guidelines and in cotton fabric. The resulting quilt is beautiful and well worth a look if you go to the museum.
Now I’m planning to start a quilt of my own based on this beautiful museum. I’m thinking of wools & linens for the blocks and my starting point will be my photograph collection.
If you would like to see a trial run for this type of quilt look here.
Over the next few weeks I will show how I get from my first thoughts about a quilt to an actual quilt. I hope you’ll find it useful.
Colours from nature -the best inspiration for a quilt. This picture was taken at the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall. A beautiful place, well worth a visit if you get the chance.
I made the cushion cover from small pieces of linen using a mixture of piecing and applique.
Some of the linens fray a lot so I finished most edges with machine zigzag – not usually needed when you make patchworks with cotton fabric.
The sky and backing fabric is part of an old linen tablecloth which I dyed with indigo a few years ago. It had a few holes in it so was ideal for cutting up for patchwork.
Cushion top in progress.
The original picture of the houses I can see from my window.