21st century crazy quilt – machine made
As you probably know by now, I’m very interested in historic quilting. I’ve often looked at Victorian crazy quilts and wondered whether to try a version. All the embroidery on the nineteenth century versions is a bit too ornate for my taste but I figured I could still use the principles to make a quilt.
Inside my head I saw autumn leaves in a maze. I didn’t put anything down on paper for once, just started to see where it went.
I made it from cotton scraps rather than the traditional silk and I did everything by machine. The “embroidery” is zigzag stitch using variegated silk thread.
It’s a stash bust too – I used only fabrics and threads I already had.There’s something very satisfying in making something out of nothing. You might want to take a look at Vix’s inspiring take on this topic.
Do you like making something with just what you have already? It would be lovely to see what you’ve made.
I have just seen Loulou’s gift decorations from coffee filters. I think you might like them.
New curtains! Following Vix’s lovely curtains here.
I sew in a small bedroom and it needed sorting out. After a change of paint colour I decided on new curtains too.
These are made from some of my huge patchwork fabric stash. I’ve added nothing to the stash for at least eighteen months but it’s still shamingly huge so I’m on a mission to use most of it up in the next year or so. This is the first big patchwork stashbusting project.
The fabrics aren’t all strictly patchwork type; there are some dressmaking leftovers too. I cut the fabrics into six and a half inch squares using patchwork rulers and sewed them together using a quarter inch seam allowance. There are tweny-six different fabrics and one hundred and sixty squares. The lining is made from the good parts of an old sheet; the curtain tape was left over from previous projects. Cost £0.
I’m not sure where I’ll find time to do more stashbusting but I’m very happy with my first patchwork stashbust. Thanks Vix!