1950s Sewing Giveaway

One of my giveaway patterns.

Who doesn’t like a gift?  If you like vintage sewing then this one is for you.

The suit pattern is from 1958 and in really good condition.  It’s a size 38 inch bust but I know lots of you can regrade patterns easily enough if the size isn’t right.  It even has a lining pattern. Weren’t patterns amazing back then?

This one is a fabulous blouse – much used by a previous owner.  It would be fun to see it made up again.   It’s from 1955 and a size 36 inch bust.

I’m giving them away as one package to someone who would like to make at least one of the garments and show the finished item on their blog.

If you would like to take part please leave a comment on this post saying which item you would like to make. I’m going to make the deadline midnight British Summer Time on 12th October 2012 and I’ll choose the lucky winner the next day.    You must have a live blog to take part as I would love to see the results of your sewing and link them here.

Good luck!

Advertisements

Me Made June 2011 – Days 1-5

Day 1 with Joey

New Look blouse 6598

 

Day 2.  Dress New Look, fair trade hand crocheted cardigan from People Tree

Day 3. Dress Vogue 1171 from 1950. Taken at Trent Lock, Long Eaton on a glorious summer day.  My favourite dress.

Day 4. Dress Vogue 2671 from 1933.

Day 5. Another version of New Look 6598.

I am enjoying trying to chose my me-mades each day.  I have a few more things to choose from this time so it’s a bit easier than September.

More Self Stitched September

Some of my outfits are missing……..

I didn’t get photos every day.  There have been lots of repetitions so I haven’t included them.

The difficulty of finding new outfits to wear has inspired me to get sewing again – within the restrictions of sewing from my stash or from charity shop stuff.  So here goes.

Day17

The shirt was made from this:

I redid as few seams as possible.  I recut the sleeves & armholes, cut the cuffs in half , took off the collar, added 1960s lace to the collar & cuffs &  replaced the ordinary men’s shirt buttons with little square shell buttons. I put a horizontal pleat in the back and highlighted it with more shell buttons.  I have noticed when turning men’s shirts into women’s blouses that as soon as the front fits the back needs a tuck to stop rather unattractive fabric bulges appearing.

 The skirt is in needlecord  and made from Simplicity 3881.   

Day 18

New Look blouse.  The bag  is my own design. I based it around photos of my horse and made it mainly in tweeds & felted wool. I love that bag & it holds memories of a much loved horse.

Day 19

The blouse was my second attempt at Simplicity 2501 (first version on day 21).  I had some fitting issues with this.  You can see from the photo that they haven’t been resolved completely but I like the shape a lot.  The skirt also appears on Day 7.  I didn’t like the look of it in the photo so I have shortened it. I like it much bettter now.

Day 20

Sadly I got a big stain on this before there was a chance to take a photo, so I’ll move on to:

Day 21

The blouse is the first version of Simplicity 2501.  It’s pretty material but the fit could be better. The skirt is the same as day 19.