Refashion a Dress into a Tunic

I don’t wear dresses very often so I’m always looking for new ways to use them up.  I think this is one of the simplest ways to refashion a dress.

I started with this dress.

I used the measuring guide on my sewing machine to get a straight line of stitching. 

 I cut the dress just under the stitching.

I tried it on for length and did the same again to get the best length for me.

Next, I marked and machined the hem.

  Finished tunic.

The dress becomes useful at last.

Advertisements

Me Made June 2011 – Days 1-5

Day 1 with Joey

New Look blouse 6598

 

Day 2.  Dress New Look, fair trade hand crocheted cardigan from People Tree

Day 3. Dress Vogue 1171 from 1950. Taken at Trent Lock, Long Eaton on a glorious summer day.  My favourite dress.

Day 4. Dress Vogue 2671 from 1933.

Day 5. Another version of New Look 6598.

I am enjoying trying to chose my me-mades each day.  I have a few more things to choose from this time so it’s a bit easier than September.

The 1940s Swing Dress is finished

Lots of work but really enjoyable.  The swing dress is finished. 

I added a side placket for press studs & hooks & eyes because I think that was how dresses were fastened in England until after the Second World War but I think zips probably look better.

I am looking forward to wearing this in the summer.

There are lots of other versions on Flickr.  Just follow the link on the right hand side of the page.