1930s Sewalong

 

I made this dress in 2010 from a 1930s pattern. It’s made from a high quality navy and white cotton. I wore it once or twice and then dyed it French lavender and wore it again.

Although I liked it I was never really happy about the quality of the sewing. It was a wearable toile at best and I’ve always thought I’d like to make the real thing. I think it would enhance that not so pared down wardrobe of mine.

Emily Ann Frances from RetroGlam is also going to sew 1930s and we’re hoping that you would like to join in. There are no rules or deadlines so please go over to She Sews You Know if you’re interested in joining us or you’d just like to follow our progress.

 

Advertisements

A Mistake!

Completed SureauThis is it: Robe Sureau complete.  But I won’t be showing any photos of me wearing it because it looked awful.

I did make a toile but thought it looked silly on me because old sheets aren’t always very flattering.  Unfortunately, it just does look ridiculous on me.

I did everything I could to save it – added bias trims, tried various buttons – but I think the basic shape is just wrong for me.

Remains of the Sureau & Day 13I didn’t want to discard it completely, so I removed the top, changed the zip and added a waistband.

Me Mades: Purple wool teeshirt,newly refashioned skirt, shoes.

Linking to Visible Monday. Why not go & take a look?

1970s Dress and Some Plans for 2013

Woman's Weekly Dress 1970s

This dress appeared in Woman’s Weekly in the 1970s.  Looks pretty awful doesn’t it? I think if I’d seen this photo rather than the pattern drawing I wouldn’t have bid for it on Ebay. But…

Woman's Weekly Dress Pattern 1970s

Much better like this isn’t it?   I’m thinking of long sleeves but I’m not sure whether short or midi.  Anyone any thoughts, please? I’d welcome some advice.

Minoru pattern

I’ve just signed up over at Did You Make That? to make this jacket this year.  I was going to make it in the autumn but I never got round to it. I couldn’t find any waterproof fabric so I did nothing.  This year I plan to make a wearable toile and keep looking for attractive waterproof stuff.  Is there such a thing?  I think there must be, but where?

New Look 6000 Pattern

I bought this last year when so many people were making it.  It’s a lovely dress and I could do with more dresses. So, wearable toile here we come!

I ‘ve made a skirt and nearly finished a top over the Christmas break so I’ll show some photos very soon.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!

Refashion a Dress into a Tunic

I don’t wear dresses very often so I’m always looking for new ways to use them up.  I think this is one of the simplest ways to refashion a dress.

I started with this dress.

I used the measuring guide on my sewing machine to get a straight line of stitching. 

 I cut the dress just under the stitching.

I tried it on for length and did the same again to get the best length for me.

Next, I marked and machined the hem.

  Finished tunic.

The dress becomes useful at last.

Me Made June 2011 – Days 1-5

Day 1 with Joey

New Look blouse 6598

 

Day 2.  Dress New Look, fair trade hand crocheted cardigan from People Tree

Day 3. Dress Vogue 1171 from 1950. Taken at Trent Lock, Long Eaton on a glorious summer day.  My favourite dress.

Day 4. Dress Vogue 2671 from 1933.

Day 5. Another version of New Look 6598.

I am enjoying trying to chose my me-mades each day.  I have a few more things to choose from this time so it’s a bit easier than September.

The 1940s Swing Dress is finished

Lots of work but really enjoyable.  The swing dress is finished. 

I added a side placket for press studs & hooks & eyes because I think that was how dresses were fastened in England until after the Second World War but I think zips probably look better.

I am looking forward to wearing this in the summer.

There are lots of other versions on Flickr.  Just follow the link on the right hand side of the page.

1940s Swing Dress Sew Along – Always make a Toile

This a really interesting sew along based on a pattern from Sense & Sensibility.  Casey at http://blog.caseybrowndesigns.com is leading it and providing pictures to guide the participants in all the difficult areas. 

I had to make two toiles because the bodice needed a lot of shortening to fit me and I made the mistake of not checking I had done all the alterations correctly.  Bad!! Even if I used up all the seam allowances in the bodice I couldn’t have fastened it.

Lesson: always make a toile. 

I made the toile from an old duvet cover & it looks pretty strange because it has huge checks.  Anyway here it is:

The 1940s Swing Dress - just for practice

I like the style.  This is the fabric for the real thing:

Fabric for the 1940s swing dress

It’s cotton & it should be something more flowing like rayon or silk but it feels a bit floaty so I think it will come out ok.

Use the link to Flickr for more photos – mine & others.