1950s Sewing Giveaway

One of my giveaway patterns.

Who doesn’t like a gift?  If you like vintage sewing then this one is for you.

The suit pattern is from 1958 and in really good condition.  It’s a size 38 inch bust but I know lots of you can regrade patterns easily enough if the size isn’t right.  It even has a lining pattern. Weren’t patterns amazing back then?

This one is a fabulous blouse – much used by a previous owner.  It would be fun to see it made up again.   It’s from 1955 and a size 36 inch bust.

I’m giving them away as one package to someone who would like to make at least one of the garments and show the finished item on their blog.

If you would like to take part please leave a comment on this post saying which item you would like to make. I’m going to make the deadline midnight British Summer Time on 12th October 2012 and I’ll choose the lucky winner the next day.    You must have a live blog to take part as I would love to see the results of your sewing and link them here.

Good luck!

Advertisements

Quilt ideas – progress

This is the next stage of my new quilt.  I am looking for interesting details which might translate into textiles.  My idea is to include sewn details as well as photographs printed on to fabric.

Next step is to get out the bags of linen and wool and audition them.

Experimental Pattern Free Top

Another attempt at pattern free sewing.  This is a lightweight linen – I’ve only tried cotton lawn before.

The top is made from fabric rectangles pleated to get the right width for me.  Previously I have used three rectangles, but this time I wanted to use up some leftover fabric I really like, so I made a separate waistband and pleated the top part and the peplum into it.

The back rectangle is half the width of 140cm fabric.  The front is the other half, divided into two so that I could have a button front.

The front only needed pleating to get it into the waistband because the button bands used up quite a bit of fabric.

Pleats sewn down the centre back to match the back width to the fronts.

The cap sleeves just appear when the side seams are sewn.

I made the front neckline by chalking around a dinner plate.  The back was cut to match.

I loved that leftover contrast fabric so much that I made bias binding for the neckline from it & covered buttons to match.

Am I happy with it?

I think the waistband needed to be smaller.  I was going for comfort, but I went too far.

Other than that, I love it. I think it will get lots of wear.

Other versions you might be interested in

Liberty print skirt to tunic seen here

Unloved skirt transformed seen here

Experimental Pattern Free Skirt

This is made from a fairly heavyweight linen from one of the shops in Goldhawk Road, London.

I started with this altered skirt

I measured the length, width, waist, size of the splits and looked at how the skirt had been shaped.

I transferred the measurements to the linen fabric and cut out the two rectangles.

I sewed the rectangles together, leaving the side slits open and a space for the zip open.

I made pleats in the waist by marking them with a ruler & chalk & then sewing at the top only.

I sewed in the zip – I recycled this from an old skirt.

I covered the waist with bias binding – lovely satin stuff – leftover from a previous project.

I finished the slits and hemmed the skirt.

The top was also pattern free.  Details to follow.

1970s Sewing Treat

Aren’t I lucky?  What fun! I have been given this box full of 1970s sewing treats.  My Mum had things like this in her sewing box.

My Dad gave me her sewing stuff when she died nearly 40 years ago. I was a teenager then and had none of her talent for sewing, so most things were just stored.

Mum could look at a dress she liked and go home and make one.  I can’t do that, but I do make lots of things and I used up most her supplies over the last few years.  Only a bit of 1960s bright green lace and some knicker elastic remains and I’m using those up rapidly.

So, I do feel really lucky to have these nostalgic bits to use in my sewing.

Painting to Patchwork Cushion

I made the cushion cover from small pieces of linen using a mixture of piecing and applique.

Some of the linens fray a lot so I finished most edges with machine zigzag – not usually needed when you make patchworks with cotton fabric.

The sky and backing fabric is part of an old linen tablecloth which I dyed with indigo a few years ago.  It had a few holes in it so was ideal for cutting up for patchwork.

Cushion top in progress.

The original picture of the houses I can see from my window.