I’ve been hand quilting a waistcoat for the Weald & Downland Museum & thought you might like to see it. Baasically, it’s a 17th century bodywarmer. The top is a fine pale green wool, there’s carded sheeps wool in the centre and a linen backing. It’s quilted with linen thread which has to be waxed.
This is the waistcoat quilted & ready to be made up.
It took me about 15 hours to quilt. The thick linen backing means that it’s hard to get up any speed.
I decided to show a couple of Me Made May outfits because I particularly like them.
I think it might be the setting like best rather than the outfit.
This is a refashioned (altered & dyed) skirt and a top made from another skirt.
This is my favourite top. I made it from a Liberty Print skirt I found in a charity shop. Those are my me made shoes too. I’ve worn them most days this month. The trousers are Olsen from a charity shop.
Some days I’ve only got one visible me made but I always wear my me made knickers, so that’s two. (In answer to Curtise).
I’ve got a dress in progress at the moment so I will have something new to wear this month. Hooray!
Happy Wednesday everyone!
My new clothes. I feel smart enough to work in an office. A blue cord skirt made from my own pattern.
And my first Deer and Doe Airelle blouse. The main fabric is cotton lawn. The fabric has to be soft and drapey as the blouse can’t be very fitted: there are no fastenings at all. Rather like a non-stretch tee shirt.
I love the pattern and will definitely make another. Very French don’t you think? The contrast collar and cuffs were made from a scrap of quilting fabric.
I have the Robe Sureau pattern to try too – maybe some of my birthday fabric.
I thought the skirt and blouse would be good together, but I made the skirt first and couldn’t wait to wear it.
I have started my purple Minoru jacket but it won’t be ready soon because I am making a dress for someone else – a customer! I have started a business to do repairs and alterations but I was asked to make a dress. And yes, she has seen me wearing my me mades and was happy with the standard. Exciting!
New clothes and a new business, I’m so happy I’m linking this to Lakota’s Ta Dah Tuesday.
I finished the purple top yesterday and couldn’t wait to wear it. It’s made from a wool mix knit fabric that I bought in Ditto, Brighton just before Christmas. It doesn’t count as a stash bust really but it’s exciting for another reason: I made the pattern.
This 1985 book was my chief helper.
It explains very clearly how to make patterns from clothes you like without unpicking them.
Part of the pattern.
I traced it onto greaseproof paper which seems ok for pattern making. The book suggests using brown paper, yesterday’s newspaper, tissue paper or non-woven textiles specially made for pattern making.
Problems? There weren’t any, just a few things I had to consider.
I checked that the pattern pieces fitted together before I laid them on the fabric and added the seam allowances once the pattern was pinned to the fabric.
I remembered the top well enough to know what it should look like so it was easy to put together.
The knit fabric is very stretchy so I had to tape the inside of the neckline to hold it firm.
Would I make another?
Just try stopping me!
Top – purple wool mix knit fabric ,
Skirt – purple wool mix fabric , pattern self drafted using the same book.
Tights – retail
Neckace 1970s – inherited from my mother
My tumbling blocks quilt is in the bag on the floor – I’m still working on it
Linking to Lakota’s Ta Dah Tuesday
I made this skirt over Christmas and I wore it a few times. I love the buttons and the bright purple lining that you can just see in this photo. It’s made of an 80% wool remnant that I got from Ditto in Brighton. There are no photos of me wearing it because I think it looks frumpy with my boots so I need to take it up a couple of inches to just above the knee. I didn’t cover the buttons myself but oddly, they match my favourite purple/pink lace top.
The five skirts
Four have button fronts and one has a zip in the back. The pattern’s significance to me is that I made it myself by drawing around an old skirt. Does that count as self drafting?
The first version has a back zip and the back darts in the wrong place.
I did nothing with the pattern for ages but when I wanted a skirt with buttons down the front, I altered it. There were two pretty awful versions now recycled. The remaining five are wearable.
I like this black one and wear it a lot.
I love this orange tweed one.
This one is ok but needs a lining – it crumples very easily.I have bought the lining fabric and will one day get round to doing it.
I always think of the black one with a zip as my funeral skirt – it’s very warm and respectable. It was the first version and the thick material hides the drafting mistakes. Its best point is its purple lining.
This is the promised close up of the needlecord top. I have tried to show the contrasting facings – the remnant wasn’t big enough to cut the facings out of it. I have been wearing it with a long sleeved teeshirt underneath so it’s getting lots of use despite the lack of sleeves.
I am waiting anxiously for my bra pattern – can’t be long now.