Painting to Patchwork Cushion

I made the cushion cover from small pieces of linen using a mixture of piecing and applique.

Some of the linens fray a lot so I finished most edges with machine zigzag – not usually needed when you make patchworks with cotton fabric.

The sky and backing fabric is part of an old linen tablecloth which I dyed with indigo a few years ago.  It had a few holes in it so was ideal for cutting up for patchwork.

Cushion top in progress.

The original picture of the houses I can see from my window.

Advertisements

Tumbling Blocks Quilt in Progress

I have been working on this tumbling blocks quilt for about two years.  It’s a labour of love.  My aim is to use only the type of prints and colours available in the 19th century. Some of these are my favourite William Morris prints.

In England, tumbling blocks was a favourite Victorian pattern for baby quilts.

The smallest pieces are 1&1/2 inch diamonds tacked (basted) on to stiff paper – glossy magazine covers are very good for this.  You can see the tacking stitches in the photo.

The diamonds are oversewn into a hexagon shape. The aim is to stitch through the fabric only, missing the paper. The paper comes out when all sides of the diamond are completely enclosed.

Each hexagon contains a dark, a medium and a light shade to make the staircase pattern. I’ve made a few mistakes on the way but I’m hoping that this just adds character,

It will probably take me another two years to reach king size, but it is very relaxing to do and after all why hurry?

I’ve linked this post to WIP Wednesday.  Why not take a look at other works in progress?

William Morris and Me

Quilt made from William Morris prints.

I love William Morris. Not just the famous prints, but his writings too.  Remember that famous quote?

“Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.” (Hopes and Fears for Art).

I would love to live up to that in my everyday life.

Every so often, I start looking around the house with that saying in mind and getting rid of things.  I don’t get very far. I class as useful things that make me smile, or give me a warm feeling, or at least brighten up an otherwise dull room.  One day I shall do it and my house will be transformed. One day…

Anyway, the Me Made May challenge has really got me thinking about my wardrobe rather than my house. Some pieces I would class as beautiful, but they are usually evening wear and I don’t get to wear them very often.  I need more useful clothes.

Dress form modelling evening clothes.

It’s pretty scarey to see yourself in a photograph everyday. Those trousers are too baggy, that colour is too dull or those pieces don’t go together. Some of my clothes are neither useful nor beautiful so something had to be done – I need more useful clothes.

So, last week it was wide leg trousers to narrow leg:

Me Made May Day 14

This week I’m having a dyeing frenzy.  A grey linen shirt, however beautifully made, just doesn’t look good on me.  So now it’s blue and looking much better.

A “natural” cardigan just doesn’t suit me.  I didn’t make it, but in the right colour it could make some of my me mades look more pulled together. So now it’s terracotta.  When spring really arrives it will be another way of wearing this refashioned skirt.

These pale grey trousers are way too smart for my life; I’ve worn them twice, perhaps three times in a year.

 It’s a pity to put in all that effort and still have nothing to wear, so now they are navy and I’m wearing  them.  Hooray!

Me Made May Day 16

So, I’ve thought about my wardrobe, put in a bit of effort and I’ve got a few more clothes to wear for Me Made May and, I hope, for future months.

A couple of quilts

Show & tell….

All the check fabrics are traditional Dutch fabrics bought in Amsterdam and made into a wonky block of flats.

This one is made from linen and based on the block of flats.

I made both of them using strip piecing.  The strips are sewn together and to the wadding and backing at the same time.  It’s a quick and easy method.