Stashbusting Patchwork

Stashbusting Curtains

New curtains! Following Vix’s lovely curtains here.

I sew in a small bedroom and it needed sorting out.  After a change of paint colour I decided on new curtains too.

These are made from some of my huge patchwork fabric stash.  I’ve added nothing to the stash for at least eighteen months but it’s still shamingly huge so I’m on a mission to use most of it up in the next year or so.  This is the first big patchwork stashbusting project.

The fabrics aren’t all strictly patchwork type;  there are some dressmaking leftovers too.  I cut the fabrics into six and a half inch squares using patchwork rulers and sewed them together using a quarter inch seam allowance. There are tweny-six different fabrics and one hundred and sixty squares.  The lining is made from the good parts of an old sheet; the curtain tape was left over from previous projects.  Cost £0.

I’m not sure where I’ll find time to do more stashbusting but  I’m very happy with my first patchwork stashbust.  Thanks Vix!

Patchwork close up

Advertisements

Victorian Refashioning and Making my own Moisturiser

A friend gave me bound volumes of Girls Own from 1880 and 1881 and this lovely skating party drawing comes from them.

About once a month there is an article called “Seasonal Dress and How to Make It”. It assumes the reader will be making her own clothes and will be anxious to stay in fashion.  There are descriptions of what materials to buy, how to alter last seasons clothes to suit and of course, some bossy stuff about what you actually need and what’s suitable- nothing changes does it? It’s definitely the best bit of the magazine though.

Making Shea Butter Cream moisturiser this morning.

The finished – if slightly messy – product.  This time I managed to make it without getting the grittiness I had last time.  Maybe I made more effort with the whisk?  I’m not sure. I’ve made lovely shea butter lip balm from this book.  That was successful first time.  The moisturiser takes less time to make than mixing a cake and there are no parabens in it.

I have just cut up this silk skirt.  I made it about 10 years ago and I think I’ve worn it twice.

I was going to make a patchwork skirt from silks but I think I prefer velvet. I’ve got one old velvet skirt to cut up but I’ve got to look for a few more colours before I can start.  This fabric is going to be cushion covers.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend.

The quilt’s finished and on show

My finished quilt at the Weald and Downland Museum.

Made of wool and linen scraps and photos printed on an old cotton valence.  The borders and binding are made of wool melton – I was planning to have a jacket from that but it’s all gone now.

 

I’m going to try more photo printing on fabric – maybe in smaller projects to start with. Cushions anyone?

 

I’m linking this to Lakota’s Ta Dah Tuesday.  I love to pop over and see what everyone is up to – definitely worth a look.

A Dog, quilts and those boots again

Old quilts get cut up for dog blankets.

This was once a king size bed quilt.

My new quilt – before quilting. It looks very different afterwards.

After some manic sewing I got the quilt ready to take to the exhibition.  I forgot to take photos of the finished quilt so that’ll have to wait until next week.

I just love these boots. I wear them nearly every day.

Quilt Progress – Yes Really!

To be honest, I would love to do an outfit post.   Yesterday I wore lots of stuff I made myself & my lovely new boots from Green Shoes. But it’s not to be.  Sadly, I forgot to take a photo until it was too late & I was very crumpled.  Today I have been wearing jodphurs most of the day; it’s not a great look to start with and I am an especially scruffy person.

Anyway, the photos are all printed on fabric and since I took this photo I have cropped them all to the sizes I want.

I have a rough plan. I’m not promising to keep to it though – in fact, I’ve already changed a few things.

And this is the heap of linen & wool fabrics ready for ironing. I’ve now ironed them and made a few choices.

Progress indeed!

Quilt Preparation – continued

It has been ages since I last posted about my quilt plans.  Things I have to do have been getting in the way of things I want to do.  The situation hasn’t changed but I have printed my photos on to fabric at last.

I used Bubble Jet Set 2000 to do it & it gives great results if your printer is up to it.

Most of the photos are printed on to pieces of an old white cotton valence and the results are much better than when printed on new but lower quality cotton. The photos are clearer on the old valence -a bonus for recycling.

I am so excited now the quilt is moving on again.

The next step is piecing.

Quilt ideas – progress

This is the next stage of my new quilt.  I am looking for interesting details which might translate into textiles.  My idea is to include sewn details as well as photographs printed on to fabric.

Next step is to get out the bags of linen and wool and audition them.