Stashbusting Patchwork

Stashbusting Curtains

New curtains! Following Vix’s lovely curtains here.

I sew in a small bedroom and it needed sorting out.  After a change of paint colour I decided on new curtains too.

These are made from some of my huge patchwork fabric stash.  I’ve added nothing to the stash for at least eighteen months but it’s still shamingly huge so I’m on a mission to use most of it up in the next year or so.  This is the first big patchwork stashbusting project.

The fabrics aren’t all strictly patchwork type;  there are some dressmaking leftovers too.  I cut the fabrics into six and a half inch squares using patchwork rulers and sewed them together using a quarter inch seam allowance. There are tweny-six different fabrics and one hundred and sixty squares.  The lining is made from the good parts of an old sheet; the curtain tape was left over from previous projects.  Cost £0.

I’m not sure where I’ll find time to do more stashbusting but  I’m very happy with my first patchwork stashbust.  Thanks Vix!

Patchwork close up

Advertisements

Quilt Progress – Yes Really!

To be honest, I would love to do an outfit post.   Yesterday I wore lots of stuff I made myself & my lovely new boots from Green Shoes. But it’s not to be.  Sadly, I forgot to take a photo until it was too late & I was very crumpled.  Today I have been wearing jodphurs most of the day; it’s not a great look to start with and I am an especially scruffy person.

Anyway, the photos are all printed on fabric and since I took this photo I have cropped them all to the sizes I want.

I have a rough plan. I’m not promising to keep to it though – in fact, I’ve already changed a few things.

And this is the heap of linen & wool fabrics ready for ironing. I’ve now ironed them and made a few choices.

Progress indeed!

Painting to Patchwork Cushion

I made the cushion cover from small pieces of linen using a mixture of piecing and applique.

Some of the linens fray a lot so I finished most edges with machine zigzag – not usually needed when you make patchworks with cotton fabric.

The sky and backing fabric is part of an old linen tablecloth which I dyed with indigo a few years ago.  It had a few holes in it so was ideal for cutting up for patchwork.

Cushion top in progress.

The original picture of the houses I can see from my window.

Drink Tea and Make Bunting

My favourite teapot and cup.

The mat is completely Liberty print made up of tiny triangles. Liberty prints are so pretty I’d hate to waste even the smallest amount of fabric.

Tea with homemade bunting in the background.

To make bunting

You need:

Furnishing weight fabric – I used leftover curtain fabric.

Binding – Sew lengths of bias binding together – the more colours the better OR use leftover quilt binding with the raw edges tucked in and sewn together.

To make:

Decide on the shape and size of triangle and cut it out from stiff card. This is your template for your fabric triangles.

Cut as many triangles as you want from fabric.

I cut round the template using a rotary cutter with a pinking blade in it – this cuts and finishes the fabric in one action.  The triangles hang best when cut on the lengthwise grain of the fabric.

If using bias binding – fold the binding evenly over the base of the triangles so that the raw edge is enclosed and sew down.

If using quilt binding – sew the binding to the front of the triangles so that the raw edges are hidden at the back.

NOTE – leave enough binding at each end to tie the bunting to the tree .

Tie your bunting to your trees and reward yourself with a cup of tea.

Tea Cosies

It all started one Saturday morning …..

My tea cosy was looking a bit sad – my grandmother made it about 30 years ago & it had been washed so often the fabric was beginning to fall apart.  I thought I’d have a go at making another.  After a few attempts this was the result:

There are now several of them on display in Fusion, Park Place, Horsham (lovely new cafe).

I’m thinking of egg cosies next.