I made this skirt over Christmas and I wore it a few times. I love the buttons and the bright purple lining that you can just see in this photo. It’s made of an 80% wool remnant that I got from Ditto in Brighton. There are no photos of me wearing it because I think it looks frumpy with my boots so I need to take it up a couple of inches to just above the knee. I didn’t cover the buttons myself but oddly, they match my favourite purple/pink lace top.
The five skirts
Four have button fronts and one has a zip in the back. The pattern’s significance to me is that I made it myself by drawing around an old skirt. Does that count as self drafting?
The first version has a back zip and the back darts in the wrong place.
I did nothing with the pattern for ages but when I wanted a skirt with buttons down the front, I altered it. There were two pretty awful versions now recycled. The remaining five are wearable.
I like this black one and wear it a lot.
I love this orange tweed one.
This one is ok but needs a lining – it crumples very easily.I have bought the lining fabric and will one day get round to doing it.
I always think of the black one with a zip as my funeral skirt – it’s very warm and respectable. It was the first version and the thick material hides the drafting mistakes. Its best point is its purple lining.
This is the promised close up of the needlecord top. I have tried to show the contrasting facings – the remnant wasn’t big enough to cut the facings out of it. I have been wearing it with a long sleeved teeshirt underneath so it’s getting lots of use despite the lack of sleeves.
I am waiting anxiously for my bra pattern – can’t be long now.